Alex is an Attorney/CPA with over 45 years of practice experience. He is a graduate of the University of North Carolina School of Law and has dedicated his entire professional life to the practice of tax law and planning, business law and estate planning. Alex is also a leader in the world of Captive Insurance. He is a Founding Member of and first Chairman of the North Carolina Captive Insurance Association. Read more here about the uniqueness of Attorney/CPAs.
As an attorney, Alex concentrates his practice in advanced estate planning and asset protection techniques (domestic and foreign), trusts and probate, taxation, corporate and business law, with an emphasis on family limited partnerships and captive insurance companies. He is also heavily involved in defending clients in audits and Tax Court proceedings. He was the first Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law in Moore County (1987), making him one of the first to hold this designation in the State of North Carolina. Alex is a long-term member (over 30 years) of the North Carolina Bar Association Tax Council and served as Chairman from 1994-1995. He also serves as the Liaison to Other Professionals for the Tax Section.
Alex’s Other Accomplishments –
- Recognized as a Super Lawyer for over 20 years
- Authored or co-authored nearly 30 publications and presentations
- Member of the First Health Foundation Center Professional Advisory Council, Pinehurst, NC
- Public service – helped pass North Carolina’s state of the art Captive Insurance Company law (accomplished in 2013), worked to repeal of the NC gift tax (accomplished in 2009), and helped establish a new, independent tax adjudication forum for NC taxpayers (accomplished in 2008).
- Long-time participant (30+ years) in Southeast Region Liaison (“SERL”) meetings with national level IRS personnel in Washington
When Alex isn’t working, he is an avid scuba diver. Alex has been diving since high school when he constructed his first aqua-Lung out of a fire extinguisher. Alex also plays racquetball weekly, meditates daily and enjoys long walks with his wife Dianne. Because of their love for wine, he and Dianne have an affinity for France and Italy, having vacationed there several times. Dianne is owner/operator of McPherson’s Store, an antique store in Cameron, NC and Alex and Dianne live in downtown Southern Pines. Alex has one daughter, Johanna, and four grandchildren.